Friday, December 13, 2019

Pharmacy Box Break (x2)


Unlikely to have any new cards before Christmas, yet itching to open some, I picked up a couple $5 pharmacy boxes from Walgreens. With 2014 Jacoby Ellsbury and Nelson Cruz on the top, I had already doubled my investment. Sweet.

Box #1 (Ellsbury)


Box #1 opens with a bang, Kevin Maas 1990 Score Rookie! There was a time when this would have been a big deal. Maas – the one-time heir apparent to Don Mattingly – opened his career on a tear. He set the record for quickest to 10 homers, needing just 72 at bats. He wrapped his rookie season at .252/.367/.535, with 21 home runs, and finished 2nd in the ROY voting. That was definitely the high-water mark.


Players I collect: Jim Abbott and Paul O’Neill.
I mentioned this in my first post, Jim Abbott pitched his no hitter in the first MLB game I ever saw live – September 4, 1993 
– against the Cleveland Indians. He will forever be a favorite.
Neither of these cards are new to the collection, but it’s always nice to see them.



“Notables” (I use that term loosely): Mo Vaughn (R), Tim WakefieldDarryl StrawberryGary SheffieldDave ParkerEric DavisTroy GlausTom GlavineGreg Vaughn (R), and new Hall-of-Famer Ted Simmons.

The Mo Vaughn and Tim Wakefield cards are earmarked for Nate’s Red Sox collection.

Sheffield, Parker, Davis, Glaus, and Greg Vaughn were all personal favorites.


Possible TTM fodder: Brett ButlerMatt WilliamsSteve TrachselJack McDowell, and Mike Easler.

I’ve tried McDowell twice (unsuccessfully) already; I think he requires a fee.

Box #2 (Cruz)

“Notables”: C.C. SabathiaEddie MurrayTom GlavineStrawberry/ClarkLuis SojoRickey HendersonRoger Clemens, and Boggs/Hernandez.

New York Yankees legend Luis Sojo! The utility infielder won four World Series titles with the Yankees (1996, 1998-2000). Sojo delivered a ninth-inning, two-run single in the deciding 5th game of the Subway Series in 2000.

I don’t have too many cards depicting Roger Clemens as a Blue Jay. Clemens won the Cy Young in each of his two seasons (’97 & ’98) north of the border.



Possible TTM fodder: Marty BarrettDave BurbaChili DavisDoug DrabekFrank WhiteRick Cerone, and Will Clark.

Drabek is an Albany-Colonie Yankees alumni (the minor-league team of my youth), though admittedly: before my time.

The Packs


Meh.


Not much.

Well that’s a wrap. Nothing crazy, but an amusing way to spend some time. Itch scratched.

No comments:

Post a Comment