Thursday, December 12, 2019

In Appreciation for Dave Parker, from a Fan Who Missed His Prime


As I eagerly await the latest installment to the MLB Network Presents series tonight, "The Cobra at Twilight," I’ve been reflecting on the career of Dave Parker.

Parker is a unique case for me because I liked him before I had good reason to; before I was aware of his late 70s/early 80s prime or his bad-ass nickname.

My early affinity to Dave Parker blossomed from his hitting prowess in the first baseball video game that I ever played, R.B.I. Baseball 2 for Nintendo.

I would gravitate to the A’s to play as Rickey, McGwireand Canseco, but I would rake with Parker. That’s reason enough for a 7- or 8-year-old to be a fan.


R.B.I. Baseball 2 was released in 1990, the same year that Parker, 39 years young, experienced a mild career resurgence with the Brewers and earned his 7th and final All-Star selection.


Most of my small Parker collection was accumulated during this era. I remember, however, the moment – the card – that alerted me that this aging slugger, who sure seemed to change teams a lot, had a history worth knowing: 1993 Action Packed #163 (pictured to lead the post).

The set featured quite a few legends and was among the first that I really dedicated any time to digesting what was on the back of the card. In Parker’s case…


Geez.

I asked my dad about him. He talked about his cannon arm. He said that he and Willie Stargell would swing a sledgehammer in the on-deck circle. He told me he was called “The Cobra.” Needless to say, this was all music to the ears of a 10 year old. Notably, my father never mentioned cocaine or a drug scandal. Innocence intact.

I told myself, I’d follow The Cobra more closely from here on out. He’d play one more year and hit just .239 with the Angels and Blue Jays. Damn.

Parker retired after 19 big league seasons as a .290 hitter. He amassed 2,712 career hits, 339 home runs, 1,439 RBI, 154 stolen bases, and 143 outfield assists.

He won the N.L. MVP in 1978. He was a seven-time All Star, a three-time Gold Glover, and a three-time Silver Slugger. He won back-to-back batting titles. He was the All-Star Game MVP in 1979. And he won two World Series titles – with the Pirates in ’79 and with the A’s in ’89.

I’ve quietly rooted for Dave Parker’s induction to the Hall of Fame since. Unfortunately, he missed another chance this past weekend receiving seven of the necessary 12 votes from the Veterans Committee.

Hopefully tonight’s documentary will draw some earned attention to Mr. Parker’s case. It pains me to see players recognized posthumously (I’m not alone there).

No doubt, given the documentary’s title, his battle with Parkinson’s disease will be showcased.

Give this man his due respect. He was a monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment