Monday, December 30, 2019

Breaking 2019 Archives Signature Series – Retired Player Edition (x4)


My wife successfully got the word out this year; I’m back into card collecting. My parents and brother-in-law each gifted me two of this year’s Signature Series boxes.

I am well aware that these are rarely worth the money, but I love these as a gift; it’s the antidote to buyers’ remorse. They're game: slow reveal and guess the player based on the card design and other clues. They're a lottery ticket: however remote the possibility, you could pull something really good.

So… how’d I make out?

Box #1: Mike Lieberthal

I guessed this one straight away based on the year (2006), the team, and the top of the catcher’s helmet.

Lieberthal isn’t a world beater but is unfairly overlooked. His 1999 season was arguably the best ever for a Phillies catcher. He slashed .300/.363/.551 with 31 home runs and 96 RBI. He won the Gold Glove to boot.

Over his 14-year big league career, he compiled a .274 career batting average with 150 home runs and 610 RBI. He was a two-time All Star (1999, 2000). He caught Kevin Millwood’s no-hitter on April 27, 2003 versus the Giants.

Box #2: Rick Honeycutt

Another easy guess as a top-to-bottom reveal gave me year, design, and a southpaw.

Honeycutt pitched for six different teams over his 21-year career, though I tend to remember him best with the A’s where he pitched from 1987 to 1993 and won a World Series (’89). He gave up zero runs in the 1988 and 1990 post seasons.

Another two-time All Star (1980, 1983), had a 3.72 ERA for his career. In 1983, with Texas, he won the ERA title with a 2.42 mark.

Box #3: Jimmy Key

The best of the bunch so far. Jimmy Key was a five-time All-Star, won an ERA title, and finished second twice in the AL Cy Young voting. Not only that, but his was the first jersey that I owned.

After the Yankees settled for Key as a free agent from division-rival Toronto before the 1993 season, I was gifted a Key jersey. I remember wearing it in a K-Mart when a voice behind me said, “Jimmy Key? That guy sucks.” The dude that said it was middle aged. Why he was picking a fight with a 10-year-old is beyond me.

Anyways, Key was a reliable hurler for Toronto for nine seasons. I said “settled” above because Plan A was Greg Maddux. After losing out to the Braves, New York signed key and traded for Jim Abbott. Key was excellent over his first two seasons in New York (18-6 with 3.00 ERA in 1993, 17-4 with a 3.27 ERA in 1994), and less so over his last two seasons. That said, he bested Maddux in the deciding game of the 1996 World Series.

(Sorry for that Yankees-centric write up).

Box #4: Troy Percival

I’ll be honest: this one stumped me, even though Percival the most recent of the bunch.
Percival, of course, gained fame as the flame-throwing closer for the California/Anaheim Angels. He and young Francisco Rodriguez paired to lock down games in the Angels’ 2002 championship run (bouncing my Yankees en route).

Percival missed all of the 2006 season with a degenerative hip condition and a right forearm injury, but returned in 2007 with the Cardinals. He posted a 1.80 ERA over 49.2 innings. He’d finish his career with the Tampa Bay Rays.

Percival amassed 358 career saves and was a four-time All-Star.


There you have it. Four breaks. No Hall of Famers/no lottery wins, but again, I find these entertaining (and they were gifts).

2 comments:

  1. Well, it would be nice to get these boxes as gifts, but for what these cost, that's a brutal break.

    ReplyDelete