Monday, December 9, 2019

First post.



Here I go; my first attempt at blogging.

Let’s put this out there up front: there’s a pretty good chance this fizzles after a couple posts. It’s best I throw that out there now. I wouldn’t want anyone to start reading this; best scare anyone off now.

Like so many others who grew up in the 1980s, I collected baseball cards.

I would get a pack from the concessions stand after every Little League game.

I would coax my parents into buying a couple from KB Toys every time they dragged me to the mall.

When my older sister would babysit me over summer vacation, she would arrange elaborate scavenger hunts for a Ziploc bag of loose change. That’d keep me occupied for an hour or so in the morning. I’d then ride my bike to the local card store, burning another hour or so. My sister was quite smart.

Like so many others, I lost interest in the hobby as I grew up. I’d continue to love baseball, but I stopped hording cardboard.

I’m now a father of three: two boys (age 8 and 5) and a one-year-old girl.

Introducing my boys to baseball cards has rekindled my interest. Together, we’ve been collecting for about three years. Admittedly, their interest is tepid. I don’t force it, but my own enthusiasm outpaces theirs.

And now, I’m launching a blog. Let’s see how long it lasts.

A bit about me…

I’ve already mentioned that I’m a father of three. I coach my two boys in Little League. I love it.

Favorite team: New York Yankees (sorry… I know that’s obnoxious).

Local minor league team: Hartford Yard Goats.
I grew up just outside Albany, New York. I went to countless Albany-Colonie Yankees games with my father growing up, until the AA team left town in 1994. I remember seeing Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, and J.T. Snow play at Heritage Park. I remember seeing Deion Sanders a couple times in 1989, and – as a 6-year-old – thinking he was the coolest.


First game: September 4th1993. I’ve had some incredible luck attending some fantastic games over the years. It all started with Jim Abbott’s no hitter. I was 10 years old, and if I wasn’t already hooked, I sure was after.


Favorite player (as a kid): Don Mattingly. Later, Paul O’Neill.

Blogs I read (inspiration, I suppose): Night Owl Cards, Bravestarr Cards, and Dime Boxes.

What I collect: Through-the-mail (TTM) autographs. Yankees on behalf of my oldest. Red Sox for my 5 year old.

My wife is a Red Sox fan. We met in college in Boston. We are a house divided.

As I said, I’ve been collecting again for about three years (with my boys). In Spring Training this year, we sent our first TTM requests. As I’m wont to do, I got carried away and we’ve sent over 400.

Recently, I decided to work the 1981 Fleer Star Sticker set. I’m currently at 25 of 125 (20 percent).


What I'm not good at: Photography. Seriously, if I do stick with this, I'm going to have to get better with the pics.


That seems like plenty for a first post. If there isn’t a second, thanks for reading; it’s been a wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment