Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Congrats to Mr. Ted Simmons



If you’re reading a(nother) baseball card blog, you don’t need me to tell you that on Sunday Ted Simmons and union leader Marvin Miller were elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame by way of Veterans’ Committee vote.

Simmons played 21 seasons from 1968 to 1988 and was inarguably one of the most productive offensive catchers in baseball history.

His career ending in 1988, Mr. Simmons wrapped his career just before my time as a fan. He was bounced from the writer’s vote with less than 5% of the vote in 1994, after a career overshadowed by legends Johnny Bench and Carlton Fisk.

Having played before my baseball consciousness and overlooked by the BBWAA, Ted Simmons was going to need some impactful cardboard to make an impression on a youngster in the late 80s/early 90s.

He didn’t get it.


Above is a sampling of Simmons’ cards in my collection. With the exception of the 1981 Fleer Star Sticker at the top of this post – a set that if I keep blogging, you’ll know that I’m particularly fond of – none of these cards are particularly attention grabbing. I can see a young me blowing right past these without giving a second thought.

None of Simmons’ cooler cards, most of which were from the 70s (some featured by Night Owl yesterday), found their way to my collection.

Thus, with only general name recognition and a vague sense that he was good Cardinal, I had not given Ted Simmons his due.

Which is why I like the Veteran’s Committee.

The committee caught a lot of heat last year with the induction of Harold Baines (a player who was very much on my radar growing up, incidentally). But for those of us interested in baseball history, the Veteran’s Committee selections – and the debate around their selections – is informative.
It ensures that notables like Mr. Ted Simmons are deservedly remembered (if at all) for more than an uninspiring piece of cardboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment