Tuesday, December 17, 2019

One Card: 1992 Upper Deck - [Base] #55 - Top Prospect - Shawn Green


I want to try something today that, I think, will become a semi-regular feature on this blog. The premise is simple (and not the least bit original): select a card at random and then write about it.

The challenge I had was how to randomize the selection. The best I could come up with was to send my eldest in with the task. “One card. You don’t need to look at it. Just grab one and bring it to me.” He returned with…
Shawn Green. When Shawn Green emerged for the Toronto Blue Jays as a string bean outfielder, I was immediately impressed. As a seasoned 12-year-old scout, I was pretty sure he’d be a star. I liked his swing; his was one of the many I tried to mimic with my friends in backyard whiffle ball.

Look at that baby face.

As a 22-year-old, Green hit .288 as a rookie in 1995. He hit 15 homers and added 31 doubles. In my baseball watching career to that point, I had heard many times how as young stars mature doubles turn into home runs.  I was convinced Green was a superstar in the making. I picked up many of his early cards. It’s never too early to start thinking about retirement. This card was an investment.

The card pre-dated Green’s strong rookie year by four years. The back reads:
Green had a monster 1999 season with a .309/.384/.972 slash with 42 home runs, leading he league in doubles (45) and total bases (361). He won the Gold Glove to boot.

Having expressed a desire to sign closer to his California home as a free agent after the 2000 season, the Jays traded him to the Dodgers in exchange for Pedro Borbon, Jr. and Raul Mondesi. He then signed a six-year, $84 million dollar extension.

After a more pedestrian first season in Dodger blue, Green had a career year in 2001. He slashed .297/.372/.598 with 49 home runs and 125 RBI. He also stole 20 bases (his fourth consecutive with at least 20 thefts). He finished sixth in the MVP voting.

On May 23, 2002, against the Milwaukee Brewers, Green had one of the best single game performances ever. He hit an MLB record-tying four home runs, a record-tying 5 extra-base, and had 19 total bases hits (he also doubled), besting Joe Adcock's 1954 record by one. Green (.285/.385/.558, 42 home runs) would finish fifth in the 2002 MVP voting.

Shoulder tendinitis sapped much of Green’s power the following season – he hit 19 home runs – but he hit a career-best 49 doubles. After an improved 2004 (28 home runs and 86 RBI), he was traded to the Diamondbacks. Green split his final three seasons between Arizona and the New York Mets, with whom he picked up his 2,000th career hit.

All told, Shawn Green posted a .283 average, .355 on base percentage, and .494 slugging percentage over 15 seasons. He totaled 2,003 hits and 328 homers (eclipsing 40 in a season, three times). He had 445 doubles.

I will not be retiring off this card, or my entire Shawn Green lot for that matter. But this was an enjoyable trip down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment