Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Breaking a Panini 2020 USA Stars & Stripes Blaster

During the same Sunday “essentials” run that netted my biggest ever retail hit, I also picked up a blaster of Panini 2020 USA Baseball Stars & Stripes.
Why? (I was asking myself that after I tore this thing open, but more on that in a minute).

I picked it up for a few reasons:
  1. As I said about the Gypsy Queen value pack, I wasn’t inclined to open more Series 1 or Heritage. 
  2. I’m very unfamiliar with the product. I had exactly one Stars and Stripes card in my collection, a 2019 Bobby Witt Jr. that I scooped up for TTM. 
  3. I thought these might provide some fodder for future TTMs. 
  4. (and lastly), I was intrigued by the 2-hit promise. Not bad for a blaster.
As I tossed this in my cart I thought to myself, “hopefully one of the two hits are not some high school kid.” [Spoiler alert: I would disappointed].
7 packs. 5 cards per pack. 2 autos or relics (on average).

The base checklist is 100 cards, with a dozen or so players that are on my radar. Admittedly, I’m not a big follower of college baseball.

I sat on the box until today… which is quite an accomplishment. More often than not, I tear into packs in the parking lot. I can’t relate to collectors who can square away packs for a rainy day. I require instant gratification and have zero patience.

By the time I did sit down to tear in, I was feeling a little buyers’ remorse. Should I have picked up something different? I really hope I don’t end up with a bunch of high schoolers.

So let’s get to rippin’…

Pack One: Nolan Schubart, Nick Loftin, Josh Jung, Andrew Abbott, Brandon Olivera
These cards are very shiny, so I had to break out the scanner. Results still leave something to be desired. It is an attractive design. My images do not do the set justice.
The first card out of the blaster does nothing to alleviate my tempered enthusiasm. Nolan Schubart is 15 years old. He might turn out to be a great player (I hope he does). But I’m a 37-year-old dude and this feels weird.

Pack Two: Spencer Tokelson, Asa Lacy, Mikey Romero (auto), Robert Hassell, Nick Frasso

A hit. 15U National Team infielder Mikey Romero. The card is numbered 69/299. He’s a sophomore at Vista Murrieta High School. This is weird.
Let’s bright side this pack… I have heard of Spencer Torkelson. He’s a slugging first base prospect out of Arizona State. He hit .337 with 54 home runs through his abbreviated junior season at ASU. He should be a high draft pick (whenever that happens). With the season cut short, Torkelson will finish his collegiate career two homers shy of the school’s home run record, held by Bob Horner (56).

Pack Three: Termarr Johnson, Casey Optiz, Checklist – 18U team, Garrett Mitchell, Jason Savacool
Is this an error? A 2019 checklist?

Pack Four: Max Rajcic, Adley Rutschman, Luis Rodriguez, Pete Crow-Armstrong, Logan Allen

That’s a little more like it. I’ve actually heard of three of the five. Strike that. Two of five. Wrong Logan Allen. I was confused why he was in the set.
Rutschman, of course, was the number one overall selection last year.

Pack Five: Ben Hernandez, Reid Detmers, Doug Nikhazy, Zack Thompson, Colton Coswer
If I have a favorite college player, it’s Detmers. I heard Louisville coach Dan McDonnell speak at an event this offseason and was really impressed. I told myself I’d follow the Cardinals team this year. I did, for the entire 3- or 4-week season. Detmers made four starts (went 3-0 with a 1.23 ERA). He’s got a crazy good breaking ball.

Pack Six: Justin Foscue, Matthew Matthijs, CJ Abrams, Jeff Criswell, Heston Kjerstad

Heston Kjerstad, aside from having a really cool name, racked up some great numbers over 150 games for Arkansas. He slashed .343/.421/.590 with 37 home runs and 129 RBI. He will also be a high draft pick.

Pack Seven: Garrett Mitchell, Duke Ekstrom, Mikey Romero (auto), Jack Bulger, Asa Lacy
Are you f- kidding me? Mikey Romero, numbered 159/299. Sigh.

Both Asa Lacy and Garrett Mitchell are also high draft prospects, but I’m too frustrated at this point to write them up.

Two Mikey Romero autos from the same blaster?
I think I have to go all in at this point: track down the other 279 autos out there and then personally do everything I can to support this child. If he grows into one of the game’s greats, I’ll be set.

Gut reaction: I’m a tad disappointed. I mean, I can’t be too upset as this was from the same trip as the Luis Robert hit, but still. I suppose I won’t be able to fully appreciate what’s here for another 10 or so years. In the interim, I’ll try a few TTMs (and stick to more familiar products going forward).

No comments:

Post a Comment