Sunday, April 26, 2020

Breaking Gypsy Queen 3-Pack Retail Hanger (Big Hit)

Had to run to Target today to do some “essentials” shopping. So of course, I was going to swing by the card aisle. Picked up a 3-pack hanger of Gypsy Queen. It was between that, Heritage and Series 1. I’ve opened plenty of the latter two, so I opted for GQ.

Even though I’ve had a bit of success with retail packs lately (I pulled a Mike Clevenger auto out of a Series 1 blaster), I keep my expectations low. Hopefully I’ll net a rookie. Hope to pull some Yankees or Red Sox for the boys’ collections.

So imagine my surprise when I tear into pack one...

Mike Trout, Francisco Mejia, Jesus Luzardo (R)… upside-down redemption!
I am due to receive an autographed, Gypsy Queen logo swap parallel of Luis Robert!
This is one of the biggest, and least expected, hits that I’ve ever pulled. And yes, I am aware that Luis Robert is yet to even appear in the majors.

That didn’t stop the White Sox from inking Robert to a six-year, $50 million contract this January.
Robert is a 22-year-old outfielder, the #2 prospect in the game (according to Baseball America), and part of the White Sox bright future. He was number one across the minor leagues last season in hits (165) and number two in runs (108).

I couldn’t have asked for a better start to pack one, and frankly, didn’t really register what else I got until much later as I sat down to write this.

So… what else? Mauricio Dubon (R) and Max Kepler rounded out pack one.

Pack two: Michael Lorenzen, Jose Ramirez, Brendan Rodgers, David Price, Sean Murphy (R), and Stephen Stasburg.
Pack three: Yolmer Sanchez, Christian Yelich, David Fletcher, Jean Segura, Mitch Garver, and Trea Turner.
Finally, the three green parallels: Miguel Cabrera, Lorenzo Cain, and Emmanuel Clase (R).
Very pleased with my pick up. =)

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised Topps has even been able to print Luis Robert cards. Last year the rookies who hadn't played in the majors before were listed as "Mystery Player A" and "Mystery Player B" on their redemption cards. I guess MLB has relaxed the rules under the unusual circumstances.

    Anyway, congrats on the pull!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I'm similarly surprised. I presume after the contract extension, Topps was pretty confident he'd debut. That's the only theory that I have.

      Delete