Thursday, November 12, 2020

Pharmacy Box Break (x2): Faceoff

Alright. It's been a week since I picked up two pharmacy boxes with the intent to do another break/faceoff. I got sidetracked when I pulled a HOF auto. Let's revisit... 

Again, I amuse myself by fielding the best Starting 9 from each box and put them head to head.

Before I get to that…

Hit? Oh yeah. As previously discussed, a legitimate hit.

Packs? 1991 Line Drive Pre-Rookie (x2).

Box One – Starting Nine

  1. SS Alan Trammell R
  2. 1B Stan Musial L
  3. 3B Manny Machado R
  4. CF Curtis Granderson L
  5. LF Ruben Sierra S
  6. C Sandy Alomar Jr. R
  7. 2B Johnny Ray S
  8. RF Nick Markakis L
  9. SP Kevin Brown R

When I think of Musial, I think of an outfielder. But “The Man” played 1,016 games at first base, and no lie, the only other first baseman in the box was Jim Lindeman and his career -0.2 WAR.

Alan Trammell and Johnny Ray are pharmacy box standards and end up in a lot of these lineups.

Starting pitcher Kevin Brown feels underrated at this point. He was a six-time All-Star and won two ERA titles. I admit, I underrate him myself – no doubt soured by two poor seasons in pinstripes at the tail end of an otherwise superb career.

Box Two – Starting Nine

  1. SS Tony Fernandez S
  2. RF Dwight Evans R
  3. LF Julio Franco R
  4. CF Jim Edmonds L
  5. 1B Bob Horner R
  6. 3B Mike Moustakas L
  7. C Todd Zeile R
  8. 2B Harold Reynolds S
  9. SP Jack Morris R

Only one Hall of Famer, and one with somewhat questionable credentials. No offense to Jack Morris, who unquestionably was a tremendous big-game pitcher, but let the record show:

Kevin Brown career WAR: 67.8
Jack Morris: 43.5

Anyways, there are some under-the-radar standouts here. Fernandez, Dewey Evans, and Jim Edmonds are all underrated.

Still… this one won’t be close.


Box One wins, 441.4 to 332.3 in career WAR.

1 comment:

  1. Not to mention that his "teammate" Dwight Evans had 67.1 WAR.

    ReplyDelete